Thursday, November 7, 2013

Blog #4: Watching It Grow

Emelia and I were a little bit nervous going in to see Margaret today because we knew that we would be there on our own without the help of the volunteer coordinator today. Just as before, she met us at the door with a warm smile and a big hug. She had a visitor from a few apartments down when we first arrived, but she left pretty quick after we got there.

Today's visit was pretty similar to our visit last time. She had grapes and Milo (Asian hot chocolate) for us, and she talked to us again about her faith. She mentioned to us last time we visited that she really was wishing she had brought her rosary over with her from Burma, so we brought one over for her. We told her she lived the lifestyle of a college student when she told us that most days she went to bed around 2:00 in the morning, which gave her a good laugh. The only difference, of course, being that while Margaret is up that late praying and taking down scriptures, most college kids are awake doing homework or partying with buddies. Things started to get a little odd when she tried explaining to us that she had not had a bath yet today. She said she wanted to get one taken before it got too late in the day. After saying we thought that was a good idea, she got up and left the room, and soon we heard the shower turn on. She left us in the living room and went and took a bath! We couldn't be mad though, she's just too wonderful.

Our relationship with Margaret is definitely still in the developing friendship stage. We got along with her just as well during this visit as we did last time. Burmese people place great emphasis on forming strong relationships, and apparently on doing so quickly! Something that caught my attention this time was something that reminded me of the first family we worked with. Margaret's orientation to time and to others seemed a little different to us this time because she left in the middle of a conversation to go take a bath.  It could be possible that the Burmese culture does not place as much importance on be on time, as long as the task at hand eventually gets done. The task of conversing with us did eventually get done, just after she took her bath!

I learned a very important lesson when talking to Margaret today about faith. I realized soon after we got there that I had brought my rosary for her that I got from Rome and that it had a picture of the Pope on the box. I got nervous because I knew the main religion in Burma was Buddhism. But she didn't even bat an eyelash; she was still thrilled to have it. She stressed the point that we are all refugees coming to God for one reason or another. Religious affiliation has no effect on how much God loves each of us. I've learned more about equality, acceptance, and God's unconditional love in two visits with Margaret than I did in the four years I spent in Catholic school...Wow...She left me speechless today, that's for sure.


No comments:

Post a Comment